Administering a SQL Database Infrastructure
This five-day instructor-led course equips students with the knowledge and abilities to administer and maintain SQL Server databases. Individuals who design apps that provide content from SQL Server databases will also benefit from it.
This SQL database infrastructure course is for individuals who administer and maintain SQL Server databases and individuals who develop applications that deliver content from SQL Server databases.
In addition to their professional experience, students who attend this training should already have the following technical knowledge:
- Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality.
- Working knowledge of Transact-SQL.
- Working knowledge of relational databases.
- Some experience with database design.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Authenticate and authorize users
- Assign server and database roles
- Authorize users to access resources
- Protect data with encryption and auditing
- Describe recovery models and backup strategies
- Backup SQL Server databases
- Restore SQL Server databases
- Automate database management
- Configure security for the SQL Server agent
- Manage alerts and notifications
- Managing SQL Server using PowerShell
- Trace access to SQL Server
- Monitor a SQL Server infrastructure
- Troubleshoot a SQL Server infrastructure
- Import and export data
Module 1: Authenticating and Authorizing Users
This module covers SQL Server security models, logins, and users.
- Authenticating connections to SQL Server
- Authorizing logins to access databases
- Authorization across servers
- Partially contained databases
Lab : Authenticating Users
Module 2: Assigning Server and Database Roles
This module covers fixed server roles, user-defined server roles, fixed database roles, and user-defined database roles.
- Working with server roles
- Working with Fixed database roles
- Creating user-defined database roles
Lab : Assigning server and database roles
Module 3: Authorizing Users to Access Resources
This module covers permissions and the assignment of permissions.
- Authorizing user access to objects
- Authorizing users to execute code
- Configuring permissions at the schema level
Lab : Authorizing users to access resources
Module 4: Protecting Data with Encryption and Auditing
This module covers SQL Server Audit.
- Options for auditing data access in SQL Server
- Implementing SQL Server audit
- Managing SQL Server audit
- Protecting data with encryption
Lab : Using Auditing and Encryption
Module 5: SQL Server Recovery Models
This module describes the concept of the transaction log and SQL Server recovery models. It also introduces the different backup strategies available with SQL Server.
- Backup strategies
- Understanding SQL Server transaction login
- Planning a SQL Server backup strategy
Lab : Understanding SQL Server recovery models
Module 6: Backup of SQL Server Databases
This module describes SQL Server Backup and the backup types
- Backing up databases and transaction logs
- Managing database backups
- Working with backup options
Lab : Backing up SQL Server databases
Module 7: Restoring SQL Server Databases
This module describes the restoration of databases.
- Understanding the restore process
- Restoring databases
- Working with point-in-time recovery
- Restoring system databases and individual files
Lab : Restoring SQL Server User Databases
Module 8: Automating SQL Server Management
This module describes how to use SQL Server Agent for automation. It also explains the benefits of using master and target servers to centralize the administration of automation.
- Automating SQL Server management
- Working with SQL Server agent
- Managing SQL Server agent jobs
- Multi-server management
Lab : Automating SQL Server Management
Module 9: Configuring Security for SQL Server Agent
This module describes the considerations for SQL Server Agent security, including proxy accounts and credentials.
- Understanding SQL Server Agent Security
- Configuring credentials
- Configuring proxy accounts
Lab : Configuring Security for SQL Server Agent
Module 10: Monitoring SQL Server with Alerts and Notifications
This module covers the configuration of database mail, alerts and notifications.
- Configuration of database mail
- Monitoring SQL Server errors
- Configuring operators, alerts, and notifications
- Alerts in Azure SQL database
Lab : Monitoring SQL Server with Alerts and Notifications
Module 11: Introduction to Managing SQL Server by using PowerShell
This module introduces PowerShell for SQL Server.
- Configure SQL Server using PowerShell
- Administer SQL Server using PowerShell
- Maintain the SQL Server environment using PowerShell
- Managing Azure SQL Server databases using PowerShell
Lab : Administering SQL Server using PowerShell
Module 12: Tracing Access to SQL Server
This module describes how to use SQL Profiler and SQL Trace stored procedures to capture information about SQL Server. The module also describes how to use Distributed Replay to capture trace information from multiple servers, and how to monitor locking.
- Capturing activity using SQL Server profiler
- Improving performance with the database engine tuning advisor
- Working with tracing options
- Distributed replay
- Monitoring locks
Lab : Tracing Access to SQL Server
Module 13: Monitoring SQL Server
This module explains how to use Distributed Management Views to monitor SQL Server. It also describes configuration of data collection and the SQL Server Utility.
- Monitoring activity
- Capturing and managing performance data
- Analyzing collected performance data
- SQL Server utility
Lab : Monitoring SQL Server
Module 14: Troubleshooting SQL Server
This module explains the SQL Server troubleshooting methodology and discusses the most common issues that can arise when working with SQL Server systems.
- SQL Server troubleshooting methodology
- Resolving service related issues
- Resolving login and connectivity issues
- Troubleshooting common issues
Lab : Troubleshooting Common Issues
Module 15: Importing and Exporting Data
This module covers the use of the import/export wizards and explains how they relate to SSIS. The module also introduces BCP and BULK INSERT.
- Transferring data to/from SQL Server
- Importing and exporting table data
- Using BCP and BULK INSERT to import data
- Deploying and upgrading data-tier applications
Lab : Importing and Exporting Data
Flexible Class Options
- Corporate Group Training | Fast-Track
- Week End Classes For Professionals SAT | SUN
- Online Classes – Live Virtual Class (L.V.C), Online Training